Method (Serves 4)
- In a large bowl, mix the beer, self raising flour, salt and pepper to form the batter. Let the batter sit for 20 minutes.
- Cut the fish into 2cm wide fillets.
- Pre-heat the oil in the deep fryer to 170°C.
- Dust each fillet with plain flour and dip it into the batter. Lower the fryer basket into the oil, gently place fillets into the deep fryer basket and cook for 2-3 minutes or until cooked through (time may vary slightly depending on thickness).
- When cooked to a golden colour, raise and tilt basket for a few minutes allowing the fried fish to drain.
- Serve at once on warmed plates with a big sqeeze of fresh lemon and a garden salad.
Tip: Use chop sticks to lay the battered fish into the deep fryer with the basket down, it's not so messy this way. Also, make sure you are prepared with a plate and absorbant paper ready for the fish to rest on until you have fried all the pieces.