Tangy and indulgent yet light and fluffy, it’s hard to stop at just one of these delicious lemon meringue cupcakes!
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
1. Pre-heat oven to 180°c or 160°c fan forced. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper cases.
2. Place the butter, sugar and lemon zest in the bowl of your Russell Hobbs bench mixer and beat on high until pale and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Turn the mixer to low and add the flour and milk in alternate batches until just combined.
3. Spoon mixture evenly among the lined pans and bake for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
4. Meanwhile, to make the lemon curd, place butter, lemon rind, lemon juice and sugar in a small saucepan over low heat. When the butter is just starting to melt, add the whisked egg and cook stirring for 5 minutes, or until mixture simmers and thickens. Remove from heat, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to cool and thicken.
5. Meanwhile, place eggwhites in the bowl of an electric bench mixer and whisk on high until firm peaks form. Gradually add the sugar beating well between each addition. Continue beating for 3-4 minutes or until sugar completely dissolves.
6. Using a small knife, cut a v-shaped piece out of the top of each cup cake (about 1.5cm deep), leaving a 2cm wide edge. Spoon the lemon curd evenly among the cupcakes.
7. Spoon meringue on top of each cake (or pipe it on) using a round bladed knife to shape in peaks over the cake and enclosing the filling.
8. Turn your oven to grill. Transfer cakes onto an oven tray and place on the middle rack of the oven. Lightly grill the meringue for approximately 2-3 minutes until just golden (don’t take your eyes off them in the oven as they can burn very easily!)