Basic White Bread
BASIC WHITE BREAD
- 600g bakers white bread flour
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil or butter
- 1 sachet active dried yeast (about 2½ tsp)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 345ml warm water
- 2 tsp salt
Method (click to mark as completed)
Makes a 1kg loaf
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Put the dry ingredients in the bowl and mix gently with a wooden spoon. Gradually add the liquid and mix on speed ‘1’. As the ingredients incorporate, and the dough ball becomes more formed, increase the speed to ‘2’. Knead for a couple of minutes on this speed, until the dough ball is smooth.
- Put the dough in a bowl, cover and leave in a warm place until it has doubled in size (30-40 minutes).
- Remove the dough and punch down to remove air. Knead lightly on a floured board, shape it into a loaf, or put it in a tin, cover, and leave in a warm place to rise for another 30 minutes.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and hollow sounding on the bottom.
Completed steps (click to remove last step)