- 1 1/3 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 125g butter, melted, cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Method (click to mark as completed)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Grease and line a deep 20cm round cake tin.
- Sift flour, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa powder into the bowl. Add the sugar.
- Combine buttermilk, eggs, melted butter and vanilla in a jug.
- Make a well in centre of flour mixture, and pour in buttermilk mixture.
- Begin to mix on speed ‘1’ or ‘2’ until combined. Then increase to speed ‘4’, and beat for 3 to 4 minutes or until thick and creamy.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Completed steps (click to remove last step)