- 500g plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 250g soft butter or margarine
- 125ml milk
- 250g sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 drops vanilla essence
- 50g strawberry jam
- 4 eggs
- 200g whipped cream
Method (click to mark as completed)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Grease and line a deep 23cm round cake tin.
- Put everything into the bowl, mix on speed ‘1’ for 30 seconds, then on speed ‘2’ for 3 minutes or until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin, and bake in the centre of the oven for 50-60 minutes.
- Before removing the cake from the oven, test to see if it’s done. Pierce the centre of the cake with a skewer. If no mixture sticks to it, the cake is cooked.
- Turn the cake onto a wire tray and allow to cool.
- Cut in half with a serrated bread knife. Spread the lower half with the jam and top with cream. Top with other half of sponge and serve.
Completed steps (click to remove last step)